All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.84
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.82
- AU $24.83Trending at AU $25.31
- AU $64.07Trending at AU $74.95
- AU $28.70Trending at AU $37.00
- AU $44.73Trending at AU $47.15
- AU $25.61Trending at AU $28.26
About this product
- DescriptionLegendary writer and producer of Peter, Paul, and Mary, John Denver, and many others; and founder of one of the most successful large independent music publishing company in modern times, Cherry Lane Music, brings you his story up close and personal. John Denver said, I have a producer who looks like an accountant, and an accountant who looks like a producer. Soberly dressed, unflashy, and a trained classical musician, in the golden age of the music business Milt Okun stood out by t standing out. His legacy does that for him. He discovered and launched John Denver, and mentored him throughout his career. He created arrangements for Peter, Paul and Mary that the trio performed for half a century. He brought Placido Domingo a crossover career that made him an international star beyond the world of opera. He founded Cherry Lane Music, publisher of Dreamworks and Paramount and Marvel, Elvis and Quincy Jones and the Black Eyed Peas. Without Milt, there would be Hard Rock Cafe. And yet, as he tells it, it all happened almost despite his best efforts. I thought, he says,I would be a junior high school music teacher all my life.
- Author Biography2008 recipient of the Abe Olman Publisher of the Year Award from the Songwriters Hall of Fame as founder and publishing pioneer of Cherry Lane Music Publishing in 1960, Milt Okun's career in the music industry includes roles as a singer, teacher, conductor, arranger, publishing executive, and author. As a producer, Okun is known for having worked with legendary artists such as John Denver; Placido Domingo; Peter, Paul and Mary; and Laura Nyro. After establishing Cherry Lane, Okun launched a music education magazine, Music Alive!, to bring the excitement of the music world into the music classroom, and to give back to music teachers and students.Richard Sparks explored the 21st-century poker boom in Diary of a Mad Poker Player and Getting Lucky. Before moving to Los Angeles he was a prolific scriptwriter for UK television, specialising in comedy (Not the Nine O'Clock News, The Optimist, The Worst of Hollywood) and children's adventure series (The Famous Five, The Flying Kiwi). He now concentrates on writing opera libretti, both original works and translations of classics.
- Author(s)Milton Okun,Richard Sparks
- PublisherHal Leonard Corporation
- Date of Publication08/07/2011
- SubjectAutobiography: The Arts
- Place of PublicationMilwaukee
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintHal Leonard Corporation
- Content Notecolour photos
- Weight655 g
- Width158 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine31 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.