All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis pocket field guide to identifying 230 common Alpine flowers is packed with all the information you need to recognise your favourites while out in the mountains. Designed for the n-specialist, this little handbook is arranged by colour and also includes a glossary of flower parts and an introduction which describes the amazing lengths that these tiny gems go to to survive at altitude. Alpine expert author Gillian Price says: 'It never ceases to amaze me that such tiny plants can spend months on end buried under metres of sw and ice - weathering temperatures as low as minus 25 C - then sprout back to life when things thaw out and warm up. In springtime you can spot the fragile purple petals of the Alpine Swbell pushing their way through sw - they contain an anti-freeze that enables them to melt it. Masters of adaptation and survival, alpine flowers can trap insects, store precious water, expel excess minerals and fool insects.' Each flower entry includes a clear photograph and essential description along with its name in English, Latin, German, French and Italian and interesting information about the origins of some of the more curious flower names. Each one is also indexed by its English and its Latin name so you can follow up a hunch about a name or find out more about a flower.
- Author BiographyAfter a degree in Anthropology and working in adult education, Gillian Price travelled through Asia and trekked the Himalaya. Eventually settling in Venice, she now works as a freelance travel writer. Gillian is steadily exploring all the mountain ranges and flatter parts of Italy, and has produced a series of outstanding guides for Cicerone. She is an active member of the Italian Alpine Club CAI and Mountain Wilderness.
- Author(s)Gillian Price
- PublisherCicerone Press
- Date of Publication25/02/2014
- SubjectNatural History: Plants
- Place of PublicationCumbria
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCicerone Press
- Content Note250 colour photos
- Weight141 g
- Width100 mm
- Height155 mm
- Spine9 mm
- Format DetailsWith translucent dust cover
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.79Trending at AU $65.19
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $71.53
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $80.61
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $116.86
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $107.96
- AU $110.99Trending at AU $112.12
- AU $104.89Trending at AU $106.36
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.