Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $90.88Trending at AU $93.04
- AU $28.71Trending at AU $30.82
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $78.83
- AU $34.29Trending at AU $38.68
- AU $26.78Trending at AU $29.35
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $17.94
- AU $36.48Trending at AU $41.21
About this product
- DescriptionIn 1975, the European Year of Protection of Ancient Monuments, Alsfeld in Upper Hesse acquired model-town status, along with Berlin, Rothenburg ob der Tauber, Xanten and Trier in Germany. In this way the Council of Europe was ackwledging the long tradition of monument protection in a place where an astonishingly large number of historic buildings have survived. There are numerous tightly-packed timber-frame buildings in the medieval ground plan of the town, some built as long ago as the 14th century. The market place, forming the centre of the town with town hall, Weinhaus (wine house) and Hochzeitshaus (wedding house), is one of the most important complexes of its kind in Germany. The town hall, built in a way that inspired many of its German successors, was to have been pulled down in 1878 by order of the town council. It was t until residents protested that preservation and restoration of what is w the symbol of the town were assured, providing the first example of Alsfeld's tradition in this field. Even today ensembles of unique unity are to be found in its main streets. There is almost where else where one can form such a good impression of a small German medieval town than here.
- Author BiographyPeer Zietz works as an art historian in the Hessian Office for the Protection of Monuments. In the course of his duties he has produced several inventories in North and Upper Hesse. Uwe Rudenburg is a free-lance photographer specializing in work with historical architecture and garden art.
- Author(s)Peer Zietz
- PublisherEdition Axel Menges
- Date of Publication19/09/1997
- LanguageEnglish & German.
- Series TitleOPUS
- Series Part/Volume Numberv. 29
- Place of PublicationFellbach
- Country of PublicationGermany
- ImprintEdition Axel Menges
- Content Note60 illustrations
- Weight848 g
- Width280 mm
- Height300 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Illustrator(s)Uwe H. Rudenburg
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.