More items related to this product
Best-selling in Cook Books
Save on Cook Books
- AU $32.57Trending at AU $33.59
- AU $28.94Trending at AU $29.48
- AU $45.07Trending at AU $48.73
- AU $28.80Trending at AU $32.64
- AU $8.65Trending at AU $12.48
- AU $33.83Trending at AU $38.98
- AU $13.89Trending at AU $14.20
About this product
- Synopsis"The creation of an altar is a sacred act, an act of power and grace. For a few timeless minutes you enter a dimension beyond ordinary reality, where light, sound, and energy merge into an exquisite state of being." The human urge to create physical sacred centers for our lives is so deep that we often create them unconsciously. Photos on the dresser, personal objects on our desk or around the computer are tangible tokens of our longing for balance and wholeness--and of our attempts to strengthen connections between our loved ones, nature and community, and other great sources of spiritual power. The internationally acclaimed author of Sacred Space, Denise Linn, speaks directly to this primal need for hallowed and holy places. In Altars, she demonstrates in photos and text how you can further enrich the areas around us at home or in the office by creating unique shrines for personal devotions, intimate centers for healing and contemplation. Beautifully illustrated and thoroughly practical, Altars shows how to - Create personal altars for prayer and devotion, stillness and listening, loss and mourning, relationships and love, and connecting with the life energy - Find the right place to install a home shrine, according to the points of the compass and the ancient and honored principles of feng shui - Select altar objects that are particularly suited to your special needs - Purify yourself and your altars with incense, prayers, drumming, and chanting - And much more! Everyone who yearns to draw near the mysterious and wondrous, to infuse ordinary moments with sacred meaning, will find a great wealth of beauty, inspiration, and wisdom in this unique book.
- AuthorDenise Linn
- Number Of Pages160 pages
- Publication Date1999-10-05
- PublisherRandom House Publishing Group
- Publication Year1999
- Copyright Date1999
- Weight21 Oz
- Height0.6 In.
- Width7.6 In.
- Length9.4 In.
- LC Classification NumberBL602.L56 1999
- Dewey Decimal291.3/7
- Dewey Edition21
Most relevant reviews
- kimbekindbewell12 Mar, 2008by
Fantastic ideas and great history!
This book not only shows you how to set up an altar, but explains the hows and the whys - so important! The photos are wonderful, and along with the word content gets your own creative juices flowing! Another FAVORITE book by Denise Linn!
- teddrik10 Sep, 2010by
Book on shrines
greatbook,great price,great service! Very quick shipping and the book was in excellent condition.This site definitely deserves an excellent rating.
- allforadam200203 May, 2008by
I really like this book because if offers so many different kinds of alters. Great idea maker. If you honor any deity or have any other reason for your alter such as for meditation you really can't go wrong with this gem. Hope I have helped.