All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFor eighteen-year-old Charlotte, university life is better than she d ever dreamed a sophisticated and generous roommate, the camaraderie of dorm living, parties, clubs and boyfriends. Most of all, Charlotte is exposed to new ideas, and in 1981 Ghana, this may be the most exciting and most dangerous adventure of all. At first Charlotte basks in her wonderful new freedom, especially being out of the watchful eye of her controlling and opinionated father. She suddenly finds herself with shortage of male attention, including her charismatic political science professor, fellow student activist Banahene, and Asare, a wealthy oil broker who invites Charlotte to travel with him and showers her with expensive gifts, including a coveted passport.But Ghana is fraught with a history of conflict. And in the middle of her freshman year, the government is overthrown, and three judges are abducted and murdered. As political forces try to mobilize students to advance their own agendas, Charlotte is drawn into the world of student politics. She s good at it, she s impassioned, and she s in love with Banahene. The struggle continues! Aluta! Aluta continua! she shouts, rallying the crowd with the slogan of the oppressed. But her love of the spotlight puts her in the public eye. And when Asare entrusts her with a mysterious package of documents, she suddenly realizes she may be in real danger. But it s too late. As she is on her way to a meeting, Charlotte is picked up by national security, and her worst nightmares come true. And in the end, she must make a difficult and complicated decision about whether to leave her education, and her beloved Ghana, behind. A heartfelt story told with uncompromising honesty, about what happens when youthful idealism meets the harsh realities of power.A heartfelt story told with uncompromising honesty, about what happens when youthful idealism meets the harsh realities of power.
- Author Biography<b>Adwoa Badoe</b> is a Ghanaian-born physician, storyteller, educator, writer and African dance instructor. She is the author of the novel <i>Between Sisters, </i> as well as several picture books, including <i>The Pot of Wisdom, </i> illustrated by Baba Wague Diakite and <i>Nana s Cold Days, </i> illustrated by Bushra Junaid.
- Author(s)Adwoa Badoe
- PublisherGroundwood Books
- Date of Publication13/09/2016
- SubjectChildren's Fiction
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintGroundwood Books
- Weight363 g
- Width145 mm
- Height218 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Format DetailsSewn,Cloth over boards
Best-selling in Other Children & Young Adults
Save on Other Children & Young Adults
- AU $49.72Trending at AU $53.57
- AU $15.95Trending at AU $18.74
- AU $7.38Trending at AU $10.61
- AU $12.80Trending at AU $17.37
- AU $13.47Trending at AU $18.20
- AU $7.51Trending at AU $12.30
- AU $10.54Trending at AU $12.92
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.