All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe Finnish architect Alvar Aalto (1898 - 1976), was one of the key exponents of Modernism and the International Style.He began his career in the 1920s with buildings in the Nordic Classical style, but was drawn to International Modernism by the end of the decade. Aalto s Paimio Sanatorium (1929-1933) can be counted as a masterwork of the period in the global context.In the mid-1930s, Aalto broke away from the Modernist group kwn as CIAM to develop his own vocabulary of form in a more complex direction and he created the free-form approach to design for which his architecture became world famous. The best-kwn expressions of the free-form approach are the easy chair he designed for Paimio, the Savoy vase and the Villa Mairea.Aalto s rise to become a master of International Modernism stemmed from his humanitarian approach, which can best be seen in the scale of his buildings and in the way he used materials.
- Date of Publication02/02/2003
- LanguageEnglish & Italian
- SubjectFine Arts / Art History
- Place of PublicationRome
- Country of PublicationItaly
- Content Noteblack & white throughout
- Weight717 g
- Width220 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Edited byAlvar Aalto,Marco Pacetti
Save on Textbooks
- AU $26.38Trending at AU $38.34
- AU $28.52Trending at AU $29.71
- AU $45.07Trending at AU $52.34
- AU $30.26Trending at AU $32.66
- AU $28.02Trending at AU $30.82
- AU $30.98Trending at AU $40.27
- AU $11.31Trending at AU $14.92
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.