All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis is the story of the Rice family, and of Liza, their severely mentally-retarded eldest daughter. It's a story about what it was like growing up in a large, rowdy household forever in the thrall of this unkwable, unreachable child. When she was small, Cecilia always believed Liza would t survive to adulthood, that she would never be her 'problem'. But she did survive. With warmth, wisdom and humour, Cecilia reveals how her family came to think of 'the Liza problem' as theirs and how, through the passing of time and a mysterious process of acceptance and forgiveness, their fears and resentment turned into fierce loyalty and abiding love. This is more than a memoir about the difficulties, challenges and rare rewards that come with caring for a disabled child. Eloquently told, Always Liza to Me is an uplifting chronicle of how even the most mixed-up of families can teach us great lessons and inspire great love.
- Author BiographyCecilia Rice grew up in a large family in the 1960s. At university she studied law and drama, majoring in film. Cecilia has practised as a solicitor in the private and public sectors and now works in broadcasting regulation and media policy. She has been an active member of a writing group and a book club. Along with other family members, she is on the Unit Management Committee of the Twain ward representing her disabled sister. Cecilia lives in Sydney with her husband and two sons.
- Author(s)Cecilia Rice
- PublisherAllen & Unwin
- Date of Publication01/06/2009
- SubjectAutobiography: General
- Place of PublicationSt Leonards
- Country of PublicationAustralia
- ImprintAllen & Unwin
- Content Notecolour illustrations
- Weight300 g
- Width153 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine17 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (UK)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $90.88Trending at AU $92.76
- AU $28.69Trending at AU $30.73
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $78.60
- AU $44.48Trending at AU $51.92
- AU $78.77Trending at AU $115.92
- AU $34.28Trending at AU $38.56
- AU $44.27Trending at AU $52.71
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.