All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis compelling book introduces Nobel laureate, Amartya Sen's, capability approach, and explores its significance for theory, policy and practice in education. The book particularly looks at questions concerning the education of children, gender equality, and higher education. Contributors hail from the UK, USA, Australia, Italy and Mexico.
- Author BiographyMELANIE WALKER is Professor of Higher Education and Director of Research in the School of Education at the University of Nottingham, UK and Extraordinary Professor at the University of the Western Cape, South Africa. She is director of a PhD program in Higher Education, and contributes to teaching on the MA in Higher Education and the Professional Doctorate. Her teaching and research interests focus on human development and global higher education policy; professional education, graduate capabilities, and university contributions to poverty reduction; and pedagogies and social justice. She is co-editor of the Journal of Human Development and Capabilities. Her recent books include Higher Education Pedagogies: a Capabilities Approach (2006); and The Routledge Doctoral Supervisor's Companion and The Routledge Doctoral Student's Companion, both edited with Pat Thomson (2010). ELAINE UNTERHALTER contributes to teaching on post graduate courses in education and international development at the Institute of Education in London, UK. She specializes in gender, education, and development and is currently leading two research projects with this focus: one funded by the ESRC and one by ActionAid. She has extensive experience editing collections of papers and journals. Her most recent edited collection is Oxfam's Beyond Access: Transforming Policy and Practice for Gender Equality in Education (with Sheila Aikman, 2005). She is one of the co-editors of the journal Theory and Research in Education.
- Author(s)Elaine Unterhalter,Melanie Walker
- PublisherPalgrave Macmillan
- Date of Publication17/08/2010
- SubjectEducation & Teaching
- Place of PublicationBasingstoke
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- First Published2007
- ImprintPalgrave Macmillan
- Content Notebiography
- Weight375 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine17 mm
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.52Trending at AU $57.15
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $71.29
- AU $31.94Trending at AU $38.14
- AU $53.34Trending at AU $59.06
- AU $28.52Trending at AU $29.55
- AU $45.07Trending at AU $52.06
- AU $33.00Trending at AU $35.68
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.