All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.88
- AU $7.99Trending at AU $8.23
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.78
- AU $24.83Trending at AU $25.22
- AU $66.30Trending at AU $74.69
- AU $31.51Trending at AU $36.87
- AU $25.48Trending at AU $28.23
About this product
- DescriptionNorth Vancouver is one of the most historic areas of BC's Lower Mainland, with a district population of more than 120,000 people, and more than 45,000 living in the City of North Vancouver itself. The area's easy access to downtown Vancouver, its multi-use waterfront and many recreational opportunities have made it one of the province's most desirable places to live, an enviable mix of residential and commercial development in the midst of one of the most spectacular natural settings in the world. But how did this thriving multicultural city develop from a hodgepodge of wood frame buildings and muddy trails in just 100 years? The Ambitious City details the fascinating story of North Vancouver, from the migration of the Squamish people to Burrard Inlet, to the settlement of Moodyville in the 1800s through to the city's incorporation in 1907. The development of the area's shipbuilding industry and the ecomic and cultural revitalization of Lonsdale Avenue is also covered. Published in hour of the City of North Vancouver's 2007 centennial, The Ambitious City is a dynamic popular history that includes first-person accounts as well as a host of archival photos and illustrations. Warren Sommer skilfully connects the community's history with that of the province, covering ethnic relations, colonialism, labour history and politics.
- Author BiographyWarren Sommer is the principal of Legacy Heritage Consultants, an organisation that specialises in cultural planning, community heritage, social research and community development. He is the author of four previous books. He has an MA in Historical Geography and lives in Fort Langley, BC.
- Author(s)Warren Sommer
- PublisherHarbour Publishing
- Date of Publication01/06/2007
- SubjectRegional History
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintHarbour Publishing
- Content Noteb/w photos
- Weight1524 g
- Width290 mm
- Height220 mm
- Spine24 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.