All listings for this product
Best-selling in Audio Books
Save on Audio Books
- AU $22.33Trending at AU $23.25
- AU $17.27Trending at AU $22.35
- AU $25.20Trending at AU $36.27
- AU $45.43Trending at AU $49.00
- AU $44.96Trending at AU $47.86
- AU $21.62Trending at AU $24.89
- AU $18.02Trending at AU $28.11
About this product
- DescriptionThis epic narrative tells America's story through the voices of those who lived it - Presidents and farmers, mothers and children, settlers and soldiers, slaves and Indians. The series celebrates the country's achievements but also examines its paradoxes by investigating three abiding themes of American life: empire, liberty and faith. These first thirty episodes start with the Native Americans, who arrived from Asia around 15,000 years ago. In a fascinating journey that takes in the impact of Columbus, the founding of Puritan New England, the Declaration of Independence, the slave trade and the forced relocation of the Indians, Reylds shows how the U.S. expanded to cover a whole continent, laying the foundations of a superpower - if the country could stay united. And that seemed a big 'if' in 1861 as the conflicts over liberty and slavery brought America to the brink of Civil War. 6 CDs. 7 hrs 30 mins.
- Author BiographyDavid Reynolds is a Professor of International History at Cambridge University, and a Fellow of Christ's College. He was awarded the Wolfson Prize for History, 2004, and elected a Fellow of the British Academy in 2005. He has written and presented several history films for the BBC - among them the 2008 series Summits. His books include several on modern America and its relations with Europe. His fascination with the country dates back to a year living there as a student, culminating in an epic ten-week, 10,000 mile bus journey in the summer of 1974 which ended outside the White House on the morning Richard Nixon resigned. David has been a regular visitor to the United States ever since and has held visiting university appointments at Harvard, Nebraska and Oklahoma. America, Empire of Liberty, his book linked to the BBC Radio 4 series, was published by Penguin in 2009.
- Author(s)David Reynolds
- PublisherBBC Audio, A Division Of Random House
- Date of Publication03/11/2008
- SubjectRegional History
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBBC Physical Audio
- Weight210 g
- Width125 mm
- Height140 mm
- Spine25 mm
- Read byDavid Reynolds
- Contained items statement6 Audio CDs
- Format DetailsCD standard audio format
- Running Time450
- Edition StatementA&M
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.