Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $28.70Trending at AU $30.82
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $78.83
- AU $44.48Trending at AU $52.90
- AU $26.88Trending at AU $29.35
- AU $44.27Trending at AU $52.87
- AU $36.48Trending at AU $41.21
- AU $36.16Trending at AU $37.52
About this product
- DescriptionAmerica Where? Transatlantic Views of the United States in the Twenty-first Century gathers essays by distinguished American Studies scholars from both sides of the Atlantic. The articles address changing representations of 'America' in their many and mutual transnational exchanges, both in the Americas and in Europe. Atlanticism, neo-liberalism, transnationalism, borders, racism, prisons, labor, war and intercultural relations compose the range of approaches to be found in this book. While paying close attention to the geopolitical, social, and cultural fabric of the United States as a nation in its intercultural, cross-border time-spaces, this work brings to question the location of 'America' in our time. How does this 'America' - both the material, secular nation in the ecomic and political world, and the mythical, sacred, and spiritual entity, ermously charged with symbolic power - present itself today in the Western and Eastern Hemispheres? The book's provisional answer is that the most productive America is to be found in the conversations that the cultures of the United States encourage and engage in, both nationally and internationally.
- Author BiographyIsabel Caldeira is Associate Prof. of English and American Studies at the Faculty of Letters and Senior Research Fellow at the Center for Social Studies, University of Coimbra. Maria Jose Canelo is Assistant Prof. of English and American Studies at the Faculty of Letters and Senior Research Fellow at the Center for Social Studies, University of Coimbra. Irene Ramalho Santos is Prof. Emerita of English and American Studies and Feminist Studies at the Faculty of Letters. She is also Senior Research Fellow at the Center for Social Studies, University of Coimbra, and International Affiliate of the Department of Comparative Literature at the University of Wisconsin-Madison.
- PublisherPeter Lang AG, Internationaler Verlag der Wissenschaften
- Date of Publication22/11/2012
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Series TitleTransatlantic Aesthetics and Culture
- Series Part/Volume Number6
- Country of PublicationSwitzerland
- First Published2012
- ImprintPeter Lang AG, Internationaler Verlag der Wissenschaften
- Weight430 g
- Width155 mm
- Height225 mm
- Edited byIrene Ramalho Santos,Isabel Caldeira,Maria Jose Canelo
- Edition StatementNew edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.