All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $13.93
- AU $15.52Trending at AU $23.29
- AU $30.82Trending at AU $34.85
- AU $14.50Trending at AU $15.71
- AU $32.75Trending at AU $55.26
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $99.52
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $32.01
About this product
- DescriptionIn a review of John Lukacs' 1981 book Philadelphia: Patricians and Philistines , the New York Times praised the icoclastic historian for excavating the work of the 'elegant essayist' Agnes Repplier, 'the Jane Austen of the essay'. Now, in American Austen , Lukacs has compiled a definitive and delightful reader of the best writing of this most unjustly forgotten prose stylist and commonsense philosopher. In these pages, Repplier (1855-1950) emerges as perhaps the wittiest female author in the history of American letters - Dorothy Parker t expected. Lukacs has gleaned from Repplier's work the finest essays on her hometown of Philadelphia, excerpts from her biographies of figures such as Junipero Serra, insightful reflections on Puritanism, the suburbs, and writers from Horace to Thackeray, and various other pieces brimming with Repplier's characteristically pungent commentary on American life. Agnes Repplier's engaging style, good-natured skepticism, and realistic appreciation of the genuine accomplishments of Western civilization should win for her a new and attentive audience in the twenty-first century. Agnes Repplier, who published for sixty-five of her ninety-five years, was the author of more than two dozen books, all of which are out of print. A native Philadelphian who never moved and never married, during her lifetime she was a popular essayist who wrote for virtually every major literary outlet in America, including the Atlantic, Harpers, and Life.
- Author BiographyJohn Lukacs is the author, most recently, of Blood, Toil, Tears, and Sweat: The Dire Warning: Churchill's First Speech as Prime Minister. He taught for many years at Chestnut Hill College in Philadelphia and makes his home in Chester County, Pennsylvania.
- PublisherISI Books
- Date of Publication15/07/2009
- Place of PublicationWilmington
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintISI Books
- Weight689 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine29 mm
- Edited byJohn R. Lukacs
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.