All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis revised and updated edition of the hugely successful American Civilization provides students of American studies with the perfect background and introductory information on contemporary American life. This sixth edition examines the central dimensions of American society from geography and the environment, government and politics, to religion, education, sports, media and the arts. This book: * covers all core American studies topics at introductory level. * contains essential historical background for American studies students in the twenty-first century * analyzes issues of gender, class, race, and mirities in America's cosmopolitan population. * contains color photos, case studies, questions and terms for discussion, bibliographical references and lists of websites central to each chapter. * accompanied by a fully integrated companion website featuring extensive references for further reading, links to key primary sources, filmographies and advice for students on how to approach essay questions. Featuring new color illustrations and case studies, this edition includes expanded sections on the environment, immigration, foreign policy, media and the arts, sport and leisure cultures as well as a new section on the LGBT community and detailed coverage of the 2012 election and shifting ecomic situation.
- Author BiographyDavid Mauk is Associate Professor of North American Area Studies at the University of Oslo and is the author of The Colony that Rose from the Sea: Norwegian Maritime Migration and Community in Brooklyn and many articles on American politics, immigration and ethnicity. John Oakland is the author of British Civilization (now in its 7th edition), Irish Civilization (with Arthur Aughey), Contemporary Britain and British Civilization: A Student's Dictionary. He is a former Associate Professor in English at the Norwegian University of Science and Technology.
- Author(s)David C. Mauk,John Oakland
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication30/07/2013
- SubjectHistory: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note15 colour tables, 13 black & white halftones, 44 colour illustrations, 9 black & white line drawings
- Weight952 g
- Width174 mm
- Height246 mm
- Spine25 mm
- Edition Statement6th Revised edition
Save on Textbooks
- AU $26.38Trending at AU $38.34
- AU $53.09Trending at AU $59.37
- AU $28.52Trending at AU $29.71
- AU $28.02Trending at AU $30.82
- AU $30.98Trending at AU $40.27
- AU $11.31Trending at AU $14.92
- AU $25.62Trending at AU $33.09
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.