All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.84
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.82
- AU $24.83Trending at AU $25.31
- AU $64.07Trending at AU $74.95
- AU $28.70Trending at AU $37.00
- AU $44.73Trending at AU $47.15
- AU $24.97Trending at AU $28.26
About this product
- DescriptionExamining 40 cycles or themes and more than 1,000 silent films, the author attempts to discern how the screen reflected contemporary social, political, and national trends during the silent years. The period has been divided into the early silent years (1900-1919), with films of one or two reels dominating for the first 15 years, and the later silent period (1920-1929), kwn as the Golden Age of the Silents, in which feature-length films dominated. One of the author's goals is to establish the success, and sometimes the failure, of these films to capture the social and political times of their release. Other film books approach the dramas and comedies by genre, t by specific cycles, which makes this work unique. The book focuses on both short works and feature-length films that are generally arranged chrologically under specific chapters. Each entry lists the title, year of release, director, and original source, if provided by the film. The major players are often included within the plot summary and analysis. Remakes and films with alternate titles are ted.
- Author BiographyLARRY LANGMAN is a freelance writer who has taught the art and history of film for many years. He has written or coauthored several titles, including Guide to American Silent Crime Films (Greenwood, 1994), A Guide to American Crime Films of the Thirties (Greenwood, 1995), A Guide to Crime Films of the Forties and Fifties (Greenwood, 1995), Guide to Silent Westerns (Greenwood, 1992), Return to Paradise (1997), and The Media in the Movies (1997).
- Author(s)Larry Langman
- Date of Publication30/03/1998
- SubjectFilm, TV & Radio
- Series TitleBibliographies and Indexes in the Performing Arts
- Series Part/Volume NumberNo. 22.
- Place of PublicationWestport
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintGreenwood Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight791 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine26 mm
- Format DetailsLaminated cover
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.