All listings for this product
Save on Textbooks
- AU $65.50Trending at AU $75.22
- AU $143.50Trending at AU $152.67
- AU $44.92Trending at AU $56.19
- AU $28.56Trending at AU $29.58
- AU $20.94Trending at AU $25.80
- AU $32.43Trending at AU $39.06
- AU $20.25Trending at AU $22.04
About this product
- DescriptionThis book is an abridged edition of the critically acclaimed, three-volume Dictionary of American Military Biography (Greenwood Press, 1984). The scope of the original work encompassed a much wider range of people than soldiers; it included politicians, scientists, inventors, explorers, physicians, and humanitarians who had a significant impact on American military history. This new edition focuses on the most distinguished and important battle commanders in American history from colonial times to the present. Each essay incorporates the latest scholarship on the life under study, depicting the background, education, professional development, and accomplishments of the most table practitioners of the art of war. Unlike most works of this genre, American Military Leaders offers critical appraisals of its subjects. The essays were contributed by some 100 military historians. Cross references and bibliographies are provided. There is a new introduction and an enhanced reference index. This careful abridgement of an ackwledged classic guide to military history can be used as a supplementary text for courses on the evolution of war and American military history. Professional soldiers will welcome its emphasis on battlefield warriors and military history buffs will find it both insightful and enjoyable reading.
- Author BiographyROGER J. SPILLER is Professor of Combined Arms Warfare and Deputy Director of the Combat Studies Institute at the U.S. Army Commander and General Staff College, Fort Leavenworth, Kansas. He was Editor of the original Dictionary of American Military Biography (Greenwood, 1984) and is the author of Not War But Like War: The American Intervention in Lebanon. JOSEPH G. DAWSON, III is Associate Professor of History at Texas A&M University. He is the author of Army Generals and Reconstruction: Louisiana, 1862-1877 and was the Associate Editor of the original Dictionary of American Military Biography (Greenwood Press, 1984).
- Author(s)Joseph G. Dawson,Roger J. Spiller
- Date of Publication15/06/1989
- SubjectMilitary History
- Place of PublicationWestport
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPraeger Publishers Inc
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight617 g
- Width156 mm
- Height240 mm
- Spine23 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.