All listings for this product
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $54.47Trending at AU $58.01
- AU $161.21Trending at AU $169.35
- AU $73.74Trending at AU $86.48
- AU $57.00Trending at AU $70.06
- AU $65.85Trending at AU $79.24
- AU $11.89Trending at AU $18.45
- AU $12.91Trending at AU $16.90
About this product
- DescriptionCollects: CRIME NOVELS: AMERICAN NOIR OF THE 1930s & 40s The Postman Always Rings Twice by James M.?Cain They Shoot Horses, Don t They? by Horace McCoy Thieves Like Us by Edward Anderson The Big Clock by Kenneth Fearing Nightmare Alley by William Lindsay Gresham I Married a Dead Man by Cornell Woolrich 990 pages 978-1-883011-46-8 Library of America volume #94 CRIME NOVELS: AMERICAN NOIR OF THE 1950s The Killer Inside Me by Jim Thompson The Talented Mr. Ripley by Patricia Highsmith Pick-Up by Charles Willeford Down There by David Goodis The Real Cool Killers by Chester Himes 892 pages 978-1-883011-49-9 Library of America volume #95 This adventurous two-volume collection presents a rich vein of modern American writing too often neglected in mainstream literary histories. Evolving out of the terse and violent hardboiled style of the pulp magazines, ir fiction expanded over the decades into a varied and invative body of writing. Tapping deep roots in the American literary imagination, the vels in this volume explore themes of crime, guilt, deception, obsessive passion, murder, and the disintegrating psyche. With visionary and often subversive force they create a dark and violent mythology out of the most commonplace elements of modern life. The raw power of their vernacular style has profoundly influenced contemporary American culture and writing.
- Author BiographyROBERT POLITO, editor, is a poet, biographer, and critic whose Savage Art: A Biography of Jim Thompson received the National Book Critics Circle Award. He directs the Graduate Writing Program at the New School and is the editor of David Goodis: Five Noir Novels of the 1940s & 50s, also from The Library of America.
- PublisherLibrary of America
- Date of Publication12/04/2012
- SubjectCrime, Thriller & Adventure
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintLibrary of America
- Content Noteblack & white line drawings
- Weight1356 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine69 mm
- Edited byRobert Polito
- Contained items statementContains 2 Hardbacks
- Format DetailsSewn,Cloth over boards,With dust jacket
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.