All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.40
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.83
- AU $94.90Trending at AU $96.53
- AU $29.08Trending at AU $33.28
- AU $30.74Trending at AU $37.18
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $32.95
- AU $69.55Trending at AU $86.07
About this product
- DescriptionInfluenced by the blues as well as West African and African-American sounds, rhythm and blues, rap, and hip-hop have become popular and influential forms of music around the world. Featuring soulful lyrics, hard-driving beats, and infectious rhythms, these genres form a rich branch of America's musical culture. From artists such as Ray Charles and Aretha Franklin to LL Cool J and Dr. Dre, the performers who pioneered and perfected these musical forms have become household names. Rhythm and Blues, Rap, and Hip-Hop explores the characteristics and importance of each of these types of music and its history and evolution. This in-depth volume combines 52 photographs, a glossary, discography, and chrology to create an ideal go-to reference for music lovers everywhere. The entries include: Herb Abramson; Ray Charles; Sam Cooke; Doo wop; Dr. Dre; Earth, Wind, and Fire; Eminem; Aretha Franklin; Funk; Marvin Gaye; The Isley Brothers; Etta James; Little Richard; LL Cool J; The Memphis Horns; Motown; Teddy Pendergrass; Otis Redding; Tupac Shakur; Sugarhill Gang; Donna Summer; Luther Vandross; and many others.
- Author BiographyFrank Hoffmann is a professor of library science at Sam Houston State University. He has worked as a disc jockey, record reviewer, and music features writer. He has written three dozen books and recently edited the two-volume Encyclopedia of Recorded Sound. Albin J. Zak, III, Ph.D., earned a doctorate in musicology from the Graduate Center of the City University of New York and is currently chair of the music department at University at Albany (SUNY). His publications include The Velvet Underground Companion and The Poetics of Rock: Cutting Tracks, Making Records.
- Author(s)Frank Hoffmann
- PublisherFacts On File Inc
- Date of Publication15/11/2007
- SubjectMusic & Dance
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintCheckmark Books
- Content Note52 black-&-white photographs, index, bibliography, glossary, cross-references, chronology, discography
- Weight798 g
- Width191 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine22 mm
- Foreword byAlbin J. Zak
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.