American Tapestry: The Story of the Black, White, and Multiracial Ancestors of Michelle Obama by Rachel L. Swarns (Hardback, 2012)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $80.05+ AU $10.00 postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by roxy*books
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $20.18+ AU $4.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by whattaplace
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.18
- AU $13.90Trending at AU $17.77
- AU $29.08Trending at AU $33.18
- AU $30.74Trending at AU $37.24
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $32.85
- AU $71.09Trending at AU $79.99
- AU $50.05Trending at AU $66.59
About this product
- DescriptionMichelle Obama's family saga is a remarkable, quintessentially American story - a journey from slavery to the White House in five generations. As moving as The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks and as sweeping as The Warmth of Other Suns , American Tapestry traces the complex and fascinating story of Michelle Obama's ancestors, a history that the First Lady did t even kw herself. Going back to the nineteenth century, Rachel L. Swarns brings into focus the black, white, and multiracial forebears of the nation's first African-American first lady, and reveals for the first time the identity of Mrs. Obama's white great-great-great grandfather - a man who remained hidden for more than a century in her family tree. American Tapestry illuminates the lives of the ordinary people who fought for freedom in the 'Revolutionary and Civil Wars'; who founded the 'Jewish Reform' movement; who endured the agonies of slavery, the displacement of the Great Migration, and the horrors of Jim Crow to build a better future for their children. Though it is an intimate family history, American Tapestry is also the collective story of our changing nation - a nation in which racial intermingling lingers in the bloodlines of countless Americans, and slavery remains the crucible through which many family lines-black, white, and Native American-were forged. Expertly researched, epic in scope, American Tapestry is a singularly American, singularly inspiring story with resonance for us all.
- Author BiographyRachel L. Swarns has been a correspondent for the New York Times since 1995. She has written about domestic policy and national politics, reporting on immigration, the presidential campaigns of 2004 and 2008 and First Lady Michelle Obama. She has been a foreign correspondent for the Times, reporting from Russia, Cuba and Southern Africa, where she served as the Johannesburg bureau chief. She has also worked for the Miami Herald where she covered the L.A. riots and the aftermath of Hurricane Andrew. She lives in Washington, D.C., with her husband and two children.
- Author(s)Rachel L. Swarns
- PublisherHarperCollins Publishers Inc
- Date of Publication10/07/2012
- SubjectBiography: Historical, Political & Military
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintAmistad Press
- Out-of-print date01/04/2014
- Content Note8 Page Colour Insert, 3 Interior Photos, Family Tree
- Weight621 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine34 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.