All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAmerica's latest war, according to rewned social critic Henry Giroux, is a war on youth. While this may seem counterintuitive in our youth-obsessed culture, Giroux lays bare the grim reality of how our educational, social, and ecomic institutions continually fail young people. Their systemic failure is the result of what Giroux identifies as four fundamentalisms market deregulation, patriotic and religious fervor, the instrumentalization of education, and the militarization of society. We see the consequences most plainly in the decaying education system: schools are increasingly designed to churn out drone-like future employees, imbued with authoritarian values, inured to violence, and destined to serve the market. And those are the lucky ones. Young people who don't conform to cultural and ecomic discipline are left to navigate the neoliberal landscape on their own; if they are black or brown, they are likely to become ensnared by a harsh penal system. Giroux sets his sights on the war on youth and takes it apart, examining how a lack of access to quality education, unemployment, the repression of dissent, a culture of violence, and the discipline of the market work together to shape the dismal experiences of so many young people. He urges critical educators to unite with students and workers in rebellion to form a new pedagogy, and to build a new, democratic society from the ground up. Here is a book you won't soon forget, and a call that grows more urgent by the day.
- Author Biography<strong>Henry A. Giroux</strong> is a social critic and educator. He currently holds the Global Television Network Chair in Communication Studies at McMaster University, Ontario.
- Author(s)Henry A. Giroux
- PublisherMonthly Review Press,U.S.
- Date of Publication01/07/2013
- SubjectEducation & Teaching
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintMonthly Review Press,U.S.
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight272 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine20 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.99Trending at AU $73.29
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $71.81
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $70.75
- AU $100.89Trending at AU $103.44
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $80.95
- AU $57.95Trending at AU $58.65
- AU $99.99Trending at AU $112.55
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.