All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionLook closely at any typically American article of clothing these days, and you may be surprised to see a Japanese label inside. From high-end denim to oxford button-downs, Japanese designers have taken the classic American look-kwn as ametora , or American traditional -and turned it into a huge business for companies like Uniqlo, Kamakura Shirts, Evisu, and Kapital. This phemen is part of a long dialogue between Japanese and American fashion in fact, many of the basic items and traditions of the modern American wardrobe are alive and well today thanks to the stewardship of Japanese consumers and fashion cogscenti, who ritualized and preserved these American styles during periods when they were out of vogue in their native land.In Ametora , cultural historian W. David Marx traces the Japanese assimilation of American fashion over the past hundred and fifty years, showing how Japanese trendsetters and entrepreneurs mimicked, adapted, imported, and ultimately perfected American style, dramatically reshaping t only Japan's culture but also our own in the process.
- Author BiographyW. David Marx is a writer on Japanese fashion, music, and culture. A former editor of the Tokyo New York street culture magazine Tokion, his articles have appeared in GQ, Harper's, The Fader, and Nylon. He holds a bachelor's degree from Harvard in East Asian Studies and a master's degree in business and commerce from Keio University. He lives in Tokyo.
- Author(s)W. David Marx
- PublisherThe Perseus Books Group
- Date of Publication01/12/2015
- SubjectDesign & Commercial Art
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintBasic Books
- Content Note79 B/W photos throughout; 8 pp. glossy insert
- Weight399 g
- Width143 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine25 mm
- Format DetailsCloth over boards
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.52Trending at AU $57.15
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $71.29
- AU $31.94Trending at AU $38.14
- AU $53.34Trending at AU $59.06
- AU $28.52Trending at AU $29.55
- AU $45.07Trending at AU $52.06
- AU $33.00Trending at AU $35.68
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.