Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.88
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.86
- AU $24.83Trending at AU $25.37
- AU $64.07Trending at AU $75.12
- AU $31.50Trending at AU $37.08
- AU $25.48Trending at AU $28.32
- AU $9.83Trending at AU $13.35
About this product
- DescriptionWhen Sharon Porter was a gutsy, precocious kid, she lived in the giant redwoods of Northern California, high up in a remote logging camp called Whitethorn. Told from young Sharon's point of view, Among the Silent Giants is a sometimes humorous, sometimes serious, and often unexpected narrative of her adventures and struggles coping with life in and around the camp and gaining a sense of her identity. On her horse Stardust, she explores the timber country, fishes, traps, and hunts for food in mountains with the big, ancient trees so quiet and still that she believes they have spirits in them. Sharon grows up fast and is tested by adult prejudices-and occasionally violence-against Native Americans, Chinese, and -city slickers.- The larger-than-life members of her family boast brains and wit but are trapped in poverty and drink. Th eir carefree unconcern and benign neglect test Sharon's mettle to fend for herself early in her life. At other times, her impractical mother inadvertently challenges her to take on an adult role to protect and save both of them. In the rough-and-tumble, vanished Americana of the logging camps of the 1940s, quick-witted, scrappy Sharon grows and brings to life a stalgic time of this country's more simple, natural, and wild self.
- Author(s)Sharon Porter Moxley
- Date of Publication19/06/2012
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectAutobiography: General
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight286 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.