All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFailed Shakespearean actor and would-be private detective William Power returns in this brilliant, wry sequel which recreates the tension and fear of World War II in Australia. Fresh from foiling a fiendish conspiracy to assassinate the Catholic Archbishop of Melbourne, Will Power's unique detective skills are, once again, in demand. The Japanese army is rampaging through the islands of the South Pacific and Australia's front line of defence is a top-secret, crack division of men embedded deep in the tropical wilderness of rthern Australia. But something is threatening their vital, covert mission: one of this elite corps is a murderer, preying on his comrades, one by one. With a case too sensitive to be trusted to the police, military intelligence turn to the one man whose singular combination of abilities make him capable of infiltrating the clandestine military operation and rooting out the killer. Will Power goes into deep cover, posing as a cheap, vaudeville entertainer on tour to relieve the troops. Enlisting the help of his brother, whose latent skills for female impersonation rise to the occasion, Will soon finds himself in the far-rthern outback trying to raise the morale of a group of desperate young soldiers lying in wait for the arrival of Tojo's army - kwing all the while that one of them is the killer. Amongst the Dead is a comic pastiche of the classic ripping yarn that thrills and entertains as its self-absorbed hero faces his greatest challenge yet - an unforgiving country infested with crocodiles and mosquitoes, a series of inscrutable murders obscured by tropical intrigue, and an audience too uncouth to appreciate the genius of the Bard.
- Author BiographyRobert Gott was born in the small Queensland town of Maryborough in 1957, and lives in Melbourne. He has published many books for children, and is also the creator of the newspaper cartoon The Adventures of Naked Man. He is also the author of the William Power trilogy of crime-caper novels set in 1940s Australia: Good Murder, A Thing of Blood, and Amongst the Dead.
- Author(s)Robert Gott
- PublisherScribe Publications
- Date of Publication01/05/2007
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Place of PublicationCarlton North
- Country of PublicationAustralia
- ImprintScribe Publications
- Weight300 g
- Width136 mm
- Height209 mm
- Spine21 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (UK)
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $7.43Trending at AU $12.05
- AU $13.21Trending at AU $15.11
- AU $11.92Trending at AU $16.07
- AU $19.18Trending at AU $23.93
- AU $20.39Trending at AU $30.97
- AU $19.94Trending at AU $23.06
- AU $19.43Trending at AU $23.45
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.