All listings for this product
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $75.76Trending at AU $77.43
- AU $40.37Trending at AU $43.73
- AU $31.53Trending at AU $38.34
- AU $20.50Trending at AU $25.61
- AU $23.91Trending at AU $26.88
- AU $11.39Trending at AU $14.07
- AU $19.14Trending at AU $24.11
About this product
- DescriptionWhen it comes to compromising our principles, how far down the slippery slope can we blunder before losing our footing? For suburban accountant Leo Morris, it is when he becomes 'a person of interest' in the police investigation into the death of Jasmine Benson, a young dance student befriended by Megan, his daughter. Jasmine confided to Leo that she was being sexually abused by her father. Seized by a protective urge, Leo invited her into his home. Protectiveness soon turned to infatuation. Leo's wife, Meredith, oblivious of the abuse allegation, but increasingly suspicious, demanded that the girl depart the house. While Leo dithered, Jasmine was found dead, apparently murdered, on a local creek bank. When the police target Leo as a prime suspect, he engages Brendan Oldfield, a well-recommended criminal lawyer to represent him. Leo's claim that Jasmine's father was abusing the girl and is most likely to have murdered her is dismissed by the police as a self-serving fantasy. Although Brendan believes his client is incent, he is concerned that Leo's refusal to be candid about his relationship with the girl may result in a murder conviction. The lawyer, meanwhile, is having his own wrestle with principles. A nefarious client, Phillip Squires, has been killed in a hit-and-run accident. Brendan is attracted to Squires' widow, Monica. Eddie Sawyer, a wheelchair-bound lottery ticket seller who was present at the site of the accident, has communicated information to Brendan about the car involved in the fatality. Brendan fails to pass on the information to the police, for fear that Monica might be implicated. In spite of the ethical constraints on personal relationships between lawyer and client, Brendan is determined to pursue an affair with Monica. All too soon he is confronted by the realization that he has unwittingly connived in an unfolding calamity, with the potential to devastate his personal and professional future.
- Author BiographyAfter 40 years in practice as a lawyer in Brisbane, Australia, Allan Barbeler has an ample reservoir of material to employ as inspiration for the short stories and novels he has written in recent years. An unquenchable curiosity has led him to become involved over the years in amusements as diverse as choral singing, small boating and shooting that have, mostly, enriched, but, occasionally, endangered his life. A little wiser, hopefully, about the perils of amateur incursions into pastimes requiring skills learned by bitter experience, Allan now engages in more sedentary hobbies such as art collecting, cooking, music and reading. He is content that, at this stage in his life, he is not likely to be tempted to sample either free fall parachuting or bungee jumping. A large family of adult children and stepchildren dispersed around the globe keeps Allan and wife Janet on the move with frequent visits to an ever-growing cohort of grandchildren.
- Author(s)Allan Barbeler
- Date of Publication27/10/2011
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectCrime, Thriller & Adventure
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight531 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine21 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.