An American Scientist: The Autobiography of Gabor A. Somorjai by Gabor A Somorjai (Hardback, 2013)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $36.53Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by the_nile
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $21.95+ AU $7.99 postage
- Very good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $14.11Trending at AU $24.23
- AU $14.50Trending at AU $17.16
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $13.95
- AU $15.52Trending at AU $23.37
- AU $30.82Trending at AU $34.97
- AU $32.75Trending at AU $55.45
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $99.82
About this product
- DescriptionAs a young man, Gabor Somorjai couldn't have kwn he would one day be forced to flee his native Hungary. But upheaval in Europe during and after World War II led him to the U.S. where he immersed himself in science and soon began building a research group at one of the powerhouses of scientific discovery. The timing couldn't have been better. The Sputnik wakeup call that triggered the huge influx of government support for scientific research in the second half of the 20th century bolstered fundamental research programs like the one Somorjai established at the University of California, Berkeley, and Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory. Key discoveries in his field-surface science-led the way to advances in catalysis kw-how that underpin today's energy storage and transformation techlogy and safeguard the environment. By revealing the unique ways microscopically thin layers of atoms and molecules control the chemistry and physics of surfaces, modern surface science also spawned rapid development in microelectronics, high-power computing, and communication and information techlogy. But the scientific impact of the field that Professor Somorjai shaped doesn't end there. Key discoveries in surface science also supported the development of new medical instruments for n-invasive investigation of the human body, as well as tools and techniques for repairing organs and bones. These discoveries have helped increase our life expectancy and vastly improved our quality of life. Through a fascinating account of his life story, Gabor Somorjai leads us through the dramatic changes in science and techlogy that took hold during the last half century and are sure to influence our lives in the years to come.
- Author BiographyGabor Somorjai escaped the Holocaust in Hungary and made his way to Berkeley, CA, where for five decades he and his students set the foundation of modern surface science. He has written four books, published more than 1000 articles, and trained some 400 research assistants in this critically important field.
- Author(s)Gabor A Somorjai
- PublisherArchway Publishing
- Date of Publication04/11/2013
- SubjectAutobiography: Science, Technology & Medical
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintArchway Publishing
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations, colour illustrations
- Weight635 g
- Width155 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Format DetailsUnsewn / adhesive bound,Paper over boards
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.