All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.78
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $73.15
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.45
- AU $41.64Trending at AU $45.02
- AU $79.95Trending at AU $91.32
- AU $46.38Trending at AU $48.26
- AU $81.00Trending at AU $84.26
About this product
- DescriptionBy English surnames we mean surnames borne by the population of the United Kingdom, regardless of their origin. The term surname comprises both the tions of byname and hereditary family name. As the title of the book suggests, the emphasis lies on the atlas proper or, speaking in grammatical terms, on aspects of content. The second area, aspects of expression, can only be touched upon here. The atlas encompasses over 240 maps of surname variants, and more than 150 tables and figures that validate the findings or serve as basis for further investigation on local, occupational surnames and nicknames. Each surname is discussed with regard to etymology, historical background, dialectology and geographic distribution and based upon data extracted from telephone directories, census records and parish registers ranging from the 16th to the 21st century.
- Author BiographyThe Editors: Stephanie Barker, Stefankai Spoerlein and Tobias Vetter have completed their studies with M.A. theses on English surname studies. Wolfgang Viereck was a full professor of English philology at the University of Graz (Austria) from 1973 to 1978 and held the chair of English Linguistics and Medieval Studies at the University of Bamberg from 1978 until 2005. He was president of several international associations, received three honorary doctorates from renowned foreign universities and is a member of six academies of sciences, including the Academia Europaea (London).
- Author(s)Stefankai Spoerlein,Stephanie Barker,Tobias Vetter,Wolfgang Viereck
- PublisherPeter Lang AG
- Date of Publication01/12/2006
- Series TitleBamberger Beitrage zur Englischen Sprachwissenschaft/Bamberg Studies in English Linguistics
- Series Part/Volume Number52
- Country of PublicationSwitzerland
- ImprintPeter Lang AG
- Content Notetables, graphs and cards
- Weight780 g
- Width140 mm
- Height210 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.