Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $22.95+ AU $7.95 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $69.05Trending at AU $73.25
- AU $84.17Trending at AU $91.13
- AU $62.20Trending at AU $83.49
- AU $12.76Trending at AU $15.08
- AU $11.68Trending at AU $16.38
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.67
- AU $21.57Trending at AU $24.15
About this product
- DescriptionA story of contemporary Chile by one of its most prominent velists, An Empty House depicts the dissolution of an upper-middle-class family against a chilling background of exile, return, and discovery. The stark and moving narrative suggests the ermity of the horrors perpetrated in Chile over the last decades, horrors that resonate through the culture to this day. Cecilia and Manuel accept her father's gift of a house, in hope of repairing their unraveling marriage along with the badly scarred building. Instead, the couple's efforts expose the horrifying truth about the building-and reveal the subtle strands of complicity, responsibility, and indifference that bind them to each other, their country, and its dark past. With its deftly drawn characters, play of ideas, and vivid dialogue, An Empty House gives English-speaking readers a memorable portrait of Chile today: honest, brutally realistic, but with a redemptive touch of lyricism and hope.
- Author BiographyCarlos Cerda (1942-2001) was born in Chile and lived in exile in East Berlin following the coup that deposed Salvador Allende. In 1985 Cerda returned to Chile where he remained until his death. An Empty House received three of Chile's most prestigious literary prizes: the Premio Municipal de Literatura, the Premio del Consejo Nacional del Libro, and the Premio del Circulo de Criticos de Arte. Andrea G. Labinger is a professor of Spanish at the University of La Verne, California. Her many translations include Cerda's To Die in Berlin and Alicia Steimberg's Call Me Magdalena (Nebraska 2001).
- Author(s)Carlos Cerda
- PublisherUniversity of Nebraska Press
- Date of Publication31/10/2003
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Place of PublicationLincoln
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Nebraska Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight318 g
- Width3556 mm
- Height5817 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Translated byAndrea G. Labinger
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.