Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.88
- AU $24.83Trending at AU $25.37
- AU $64.07Trending at AU $75.12
- AU $31.50Trending at AU $37.08
- AU $44.28Trending at AU $47.26
- AU $24.09Trending at AU $28.39
- AU $9.83Trending at AU $14.06
About this product
- DescriptionWith his An Interpretation of Nietzsche's On the Uses and Disadvantage of History for Life , Anthony K. Jensen shows how 'timely' Nietzsche's second Untimely Meditation really is. This comprehensive and insightful study contextualizes and analyzes a wide range of Nietzsche's earlier thoughts about history: teleology, typology, psychology, memory, classical philology, Hegelianism, and the role historiography plays in modern culture. On the Uses and Disadvantages of History for Life is shown to be a 'timely' work, too, insofar as it weaves together a number of Nietzsche's most important influences and thematic directions at that time: ancient culture, science, epistemology, and the thought of Schopenhauer and Burckhardt. Rather than dismiss it as a mere 'early' work, Jensen shows how the text resonates in Nietzsche's later perspectivism, his theory of subjectivity, and Eternal Recurrence. And by using careful philological analysis of the text's composition history, Jensen is in position to fully elucidate and evaluate Nietzsche's arguments in their proper contexts. As such Jensen's Interpretation should restore Nietzsche's second Untimely Meditation to a prominent place among 19th Century philosophies of history.
- Author BiographyAnthony K. Jensen is Associate Professor of Philosophy at Providence College and Associate Editor of the Journal of Nietzsche Studies. He is the author of Nietzsche's Philosophy of History (Cambridge University Press, 2013) and, co-editor, with Helmut Heit, of Nietzsche as a Scholar of Antiquity (Bloomsbury, 2014).
- Author(s)Anthony K. Jensen
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication24/05/2016
- Series TitleRoutledge Studies in Nineteenth Century Philosophy
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note8 black & white illustrations
- Weight430 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine18 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.