All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $47.31Trending at AU $49.44
- AU $77.99Trending at AU $116.29
- AU $70.18Trending at AU $77.15
- AU $74.58Trending at AU $76.54
- AU $35.45Trending at AU $39.03
- AU $26.74Trending at AU $37.56
- AU $17.67Trending at AU $23.05
About this product
- DescriptionWolves excitedly greet each other as members of the pack come together; a bumble bee uses its long tongue to reach the nectar at the base of a foxglove flower; a mongoose swiftly and deftly bites its prey to death; young cheetahs rest quietly together, very close to sleep. Now in full colour, this revised and updated edition of Manning and Dawkins' classic text provides a beautifully written introduction to the fundamentals of animal behaviour. Tinbergen's four questions of causation, evolution, development and function form the fundamental framework of the text, illustrated with fascinating examples of complex behavioural mechanisms. The authors provide accounts of all levels of behaviour from the nerve cell to that of the population. The strengths of An Introduction to Animal Behaviour as a textbook include its clear explanations and concise, readable text and the enthusiasm of the authors for their subject.
- Author BiographyAubrey Manning, OBE FRSE was Professor of Natural History at the University of Edinburgh. His main research and teaching interests were based around animal behaviour, development and evolution. He completed his DPhil under Niko Tinbergen and is now Emeritus Professor. He received the Zoological Society of London Silver Medal in 2003 for public understanding of science. Marian Stamp Dawkins is Professor of Animal Behaviour at the University of Oxford where she heads the Animal Behaviour Research Group. Her research interests lie around animal perceptual worlds, with particular emphasis on animal suffering. She has authored, co-authored and edited eight books dealing with subjects ranging from basic behaviour to animal suffering and consciousness.
- Author(s)Aubrey Manning,Marian Stamp Dawkins
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication26/03/2012
- SubjectScience & Mathematics: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note71 b/w illus. 135 colour illus.
- Weight1000 g
- Width189 mm
- Height246 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Edition Statement6th Revised edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.