Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.95Trending at AU $73.95
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.33
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $72.77
- AU $92.88Trending at AU $103.09
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.00
- AU $41.65Trending at AU $44.79
- AU $46.32Trending at AU $48.00
About this product
- DescriptionA clear and up-to-date introduction to linguistics. This best-selling textbook addresses the full scope of language, from the traditional subjects of structural linguistics (relating to sound, form, meaning and language change) to the more specialised subjects of contextual linguistics (including discourse, dialect variation, language and culture, and the politics of language). There are also separate chapters on language and the brain, computational linguistics, writing, and first and second language learning. Extensively classroom-tested, this second edition has been revised to further support student learning, with numerous new examples, exercises and textboxes to model and contextualise key concepts. Updated throughout to incorporate contemporary issues and events, it includes worked examples of phological analyses and multiple examples of a variety of World Englishes. A rich collection of online resources completes the learning package.
- Author BiographyRalph Fasold is Professor Emeritus and past Chair of the Department of Linguistics at Georgetown University. He is the author of four books and editor or co-editor of six others. Among them are the textbooks The Sociolinguistics of Society (1984) and The Sociolinguistics of Language (1990). Jeff Connor-Linton is an Associate Professor in the Department of Linguistics at Georgetown University, where he has been Head of the Applied Linguistics Program and Department Chair. He is a past President of the American Association for Applied Linguistics. He has supervised a multi-section introductory linguistics course and supervises the pedagogical training of graduate students in the linguistics department.
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication04/09/2014
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Out-of-print date05/12/2016
- Content Note110 b/w illus. 1 map 15 tables 140 exercises
- Weight1350 g
- Width189 mm
- Height246 mm
- Spine30 mm
- Edited byJeffery Connor-Linton,Ralph W. Fasold
- Edition Statement2nd Revised edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.