All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn this third edition of the bestselling classic textbook, Martin Montgomery explores the key connections between language and social life. Guiding the student through discussions on child language, accent and dialect, social class and gender, as well as a number of other topics, Montgomery provides a comprehensive and accessible introduction to the function of language in modern society. This third edition includes: * new sections on dialect levelling and estuary English; hip-hop and rapping as anti-language and 'crossing' between Creole, Panjabi and South Asian English * new material on the Gulf War and the 'War on Terror' * discussions on language in internet usage and new techlogies * updated examples and references. With detailed suggestions for further reading and practical work for each chapter, An Introduction to Language and Society is the ideal resource for students and teachers of Communication Studies and Language Studies.
- Author BiographyMartin Montgomery is director of the Programme on Literary Linguistics at the University of Strathclyde where he is also a member of the John Logie Baird Centre for film and television.
- Author(s)Martin Montgomery
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication24/06/2008
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note5 black & white tables, 2 black & white halftones, 10 black & white line drawings
- Weight362 g
- Width129 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine25 mm
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $17.90Trending at AU $23.11
- AU $62.03Trending at AU $73.45
- AU $31.43Trending at AU $36.86
- AU $30.95Trending at AU $34.21
- AU $17.90Trending at AU $23.82
- AU $37.69Trending at AU $48.28
- AU $18.81Trending at AU $22.17
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.