All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.79Trending at AU $65.19
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $71.53
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $80.61
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $116.86
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $107.96
- AU $110.99Trending at AU $112.12
- AU $104.89Trending at AU $106.36
About this product
- DescriptionAn Introduction to Social Anthropology opens up the field of social and cultural anthropology, demonstrating its value for building an understanding of the vast diversity of human societies and cultures that make up the world today. Without assuming any prior kwledge, the book gradually leads the reader from some of the discipline's earliest foundational approaches and theories, through the fundamental areas that make up contemporary anthropology. Taking a truly global and holistic view, it includes case studies from far away as well as closer to home, wherever you might be reading it, touching on a range of topics that both divide and connect us, such as family, marriage and religion. This third edition closes with a new chapter discussing the role of social and cultural anthropologists and the specific methods they use in a fast-changing world. This is an inviting, engaging and enjoyable text that aims to smooth the journey for new or prospective anthropology students seeking to better understand the discipline and its roots. Offering illustrations, plentiful further readings and films, first-hand accounts of people across the world, and a number of thorny topics for reflection, the book makes an ideal text for sharing and discussing in the classroom too.
- Author BiographyJoy Hendry is Professor Emerita in Anthropology at Oxford Brookes University, senior member of St. Antony's College, Oxford University, UK, and Honorary Fellow of the University of Edinburgh, UK. Her previous books include Science and Sustainability: Learning from Indigenous Wisdom (2014), Understanding Japanese Society (4th edition, 2013) and Reclaiming Culture (2005).
- Author(s)Joy Hendry
- PublisherPalgrave Macmillan
- Date of Publication21/04/2016
- SubjectSocial Sciences: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- First Published1999
- ImprintPalgrave Macmillan
- Content Note57 black & white halftones, 10 diagrames, 24 maps
- Weight673 g
- Width156 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine22 mm
- Edition Statement3rd Revised edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.