All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionCompiled by a team of experts, this textbook introduces the properties and evolution of the most immediately visible objects in the Universe - stars. Designed for elementary university courses in astromy and astrophysics, it starts with a detailed discussion of our nearest star, the Sun, and describes how solar physicists have come to understand its internal workings. It then considers how we study the basic physical properties and life-cycles of more distant stars, culminating with a discussion of more 'exotic' objects, such as neutron stars and black holes. This second edition has a greater emphasis on the physical and spectral properties of stars, introducing stellar atmospheres, spectral line formation and the role of binary stars in the formation of compact objects. Avoiding complex mathematics, and generously illustrated in colour throughout, this accessible text is ideal for self-study and will appeal to both amateur astromers and undergraduate students.
- Author BiographySimon F. Green is Head of Planetary and Space Sciences in the Department of Physical Sciences at The Open University, where his research is focused on physical studies of planetary surfaces and small solar system bodies through analysis of spacecraft data, laboratory simulation and computer modelling. Asteroid 9831 has been named Simongreen in recognition of his work in the observation of asteroids and transneptunian objects. Mark H. Jones is a Senior Lecturer and Staff Tutor in the Department of Physical Sciences at The Open University, where his current research concentrates on the structure of the zodiacal cloud. He is a Fellow of the Royal Astronomical Society.
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication19/02/2015
- SubjectScience & Mathematics: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note25 b/w illus. 225 colour illus. 16 tables 120 exercises
- Weight1090 g
- Width210 mm
- Height263 mm
- Spine19 mm
- Edited byMark H. Jones,Simon F. Green
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
- Edition Statement2nd Revised edition
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.15
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $117.64
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $108.68
- AU $49.76Trending at AU $52.42
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $105.63
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $89.41
- AU $86.99Trending at AU $97.42
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.