All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAlthough Luis Bunuel, one of the great filmmakers of the century, was toriously reluctant to discuss his own work in public, he wrote - and wrote well - on many subjects over the years. This collection proceeds chrologically, from poetry and short stories written in Bunuel's youth in Spain to an essay written in 1980, t long before his death. Newly translated into English, the writings offer startling insights into the filmmaker's life and thought. The earliest pieces came well before Bunuel joined the Surrealist movement in Paris and created the landmark film Un chien andalou with Salvador Dali.Yet these and the early Surrealist writings reveal the inventiveness of the mind that would later create such masterpieces of cinema as L'Age d'or , Los olvidados , Viridiana , The Milky Way , The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie , and That Obscure Object of Desire . Later writings, which include screenplays and reflections on his own and others' films, illuminate many aspects of Bunuel's career, as well as the ways of thinking and perceiving that underlie his unique cinematic style. The final essay by this extraordinary artist sums up his view of the world - still vibrant and full of contradictions - at the end of his life.
- Author BiographyLuis Bunuel (1900-1983) is regarded as one of the most accomplished directors in the history of cinema. His celebrated collaboration with Dali in 1928 was followed by a career as a filmmaker that spanned fifty years. Garrett White is a translator and film and art journalist. He translated and wrote the introduction for Blaise Cendrars's Hollywood: Mecca of the Movies (California, 1995).
- Author(s)Luis Bunuel
- PublisherUniversity of California Press
- Date of Publication24/04/2002
- SubjectFilm, TV & Radio
- Place of PublicationBerkerley
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of California Press
- Content Note1 b/w photograph
- Weight63 g
- Width140 mm
- Height210 mm
- Spine19 mm
- Translated byGarrett White
- Foreword byJean-Claude Carriere
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.88
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.86
- AU $24.83Trending at AU $25.37
- AU $64.07Trending at AU $75.12
- AU $31.50Trending at AU $37.08
- AU $25.48Trending at AU $28.32
- AU $9.83Trending at AU $13.35
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.