All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.09
- AU $166.94Trending at AU $170.17
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $117.55
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $108.59
- AU $104.89Trending at AU $106.99
- AU $49.76Trending at AU $52.38
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $105.54
About this product
- DescriptionThe opening of free trade agreements in the 1980s caused major ecomic changes in Mexico and the United States. These ecomic activities spawned dramatic social changes in Mexican society. One young Mexican woman, Anay Palomeque de Carrillo, rode the tumultuous wave of these ecomic activities from her rural home in tropical southern Mexico to the factories in the harsh desert lands of Ciudad Juarez during the early years of the city's torious violence. During her years as an education professor at the University of Texas at El Paso, author Elaine Hampton researched Mexican education in border factory (maquiladora) communities. On one trip across the border into Ciudad Juarez, she met Anay, who became her guide in uncovering the complexities of a factory laborer's experiences in these turbulent times. Hampton here provides an exploration of education in an era of dramatic social and ecomic upheaval in rural and urban Mexico. This critical ethgraphic case study presents Anay's experiences in a series of narrative essays addressing the ecomic, social, and political context of her world. This young Mexican woman leads us through Ciudad Juarez in its most violent years, into women's experiences in the factories, around family and religious commitments as well as personal illness, and on to her achievement of an education through perseverance and creativity.
- Author BiographyElaine Hampton is a retired Associate Professor of Education at the University of Texas at El Paso. She was an award-winning teacher in communities near the Mexican border and is a researcher in the fields of Mexican and Mexican-American education.
- Author(s)Elaine Hampton
- PublisherUniversity of Texas Press
- Date of Publication01/05/2014
- SubjectSociology & Anthropology: Professional
- Place of PublicationAustin, TX
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Texas Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight431 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine11 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.