All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn this useful contribution to a subject of growing importance in contemporary classical studies, Andreas Michalopoulos has collected around 200 etymologies and etymological complexes in Ovid's Metamorphoses. These are listed with brief contextual information, evidence for the etymology from ancient grammarians, discussion of the artistic function of the wordplay, and examples of its use in other works of Ovid and in other Latin poets. The introduction sets out a conceptual framework and succinctly describes etymological techniques particularly typical of (although t unique to) Ovid. As well as adding to the corpus of etymological reference works, this study will increase appreciation both of Ovid's learning and of his wit.
- Author BiographyDr Andreas Michalopoulos studied at the Universities of Thessaloniki, Greece, and Leeds, England. He is presently a lecturer at the University of Komotini, Greece.
- Author(s)Andreas Michalopoulos
- PublisherFrancis Cairns Publications Ltd
- Date of Publication06/05/2001
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Series TitleARCA (Classical & Medieval Texts, Papers & Monographs) S.
- Series Part/Volume Numberv. 40
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintFrancis Cairns Publications Ltd
- Content Noteviii + 204 pages
- Weight395 g
- Width148 mm
- Height230 mm
- Spine23 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $14.11Trending at AU $24.23
- AU $14.50Trending at AU $17.16
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $13.95
- AU $15.52Trending at AU $23.37
- AU $30.82Trending at AU $34.97
- AU $32.75Trending at AU $55.45
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $99.82
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.