Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.93
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $73.27
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.59
- AU $79.95Trending at AU $91.47
- AU $46.37Trending at AU $48.34
- AU $81.00Trending at AU $84.40
- AU $20.00Trending at AU $28.45
About this product
- DescriptionPoet Deryn Rees-Jones and artist Charlotte Hodes have created a unique approach to the life of Helen Thomas, and through her to the women, and children, left behind by the fatalities of war. Helen Thomas was widowed when her husband the war poet Edward Thomas was killed at the battle of Arras in 1917. On the centenary of the First World War this specially commissioned collaboration explores Helen's loss, and the loss of all war widows, through poetry, prose and art. Rees-Jones's sequence takes as its starting point Thomas's only poem addressed directly to his wife , 'And you, Helen'. Rees-Jones's poem imagines Helen after Edward's death, and is complemented by a meditative essay on the complexities of the relationship between the poet and his family, and on war, grief, marriage and bereavement more generally: a critical exploration through a personal lens. Charlotte Hodes takes Rees-Jones's touchstone for her own exploration of these themes through thirteen of her distinctive collages and prints, which extend her body of work about the changing position of women since the eighteenth century.
- Author BiographyDeryn Rees-Jones is a leading UK poet and academic. Seren has published her four poetry collections, most recently Burying the Wren (2011) which was shortlisted for the TS Eliot Prize and the poetry section of Wales Book of the Year. She is lectures in English at the University of Liverpool. Charlotte Hodes is a painter, ceramicist and collage maker on women's subjects who has exhibited widely. She is a graduate and postgraduate of the Slade School of Art and was the first Associate Artist at the Wallace Collection. Hodes is currently Professor in Fine Art at London College of Fashion.
- Author(s)Deryn Rees-Jones
- PublisherPoetry Wales Press
- Date of Publication17/06/2014
- SubjectPoetry Texts & Poetry Anthologies
- Place of PublicationBridgend
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Width164 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine10 mm
- Illustrator(s)Charlotte Hodes
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.