All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn late July 2011, Norway was struck by the worst terror attacks in its history. In a fertilizer-bomb attack on Government Headquarters in Oslo and a one-hour-long shooting spree at the Labour Party Youth Camp at Utoya, seventy-seven people, mostly teenagers, were killed by Anders Behring Breivik. By targeting young future social democratic leaders, his actions were meant to lead to the downfall of Europe's purportedly multiculturalist elites, thus removing an obstacle to his plans for an ethnic cleansing of Muslims from Europe. In this highly original work, leading Norwegian social anthropologist Sindre Bangstad reveals how Breivik's beliefs were t simply the result of a deranged mind, but rather they are the result of the political mainstreaming of pernicious racist and Islamophobic discourses. These ideas, currently gaining common currency, threaten equal rights to dignity, citizenship and democratic participation for mirities throughout contemporary Europe. An authoritative account of the Norwegian terror attacks and the neo-racist discourse that motivated them.
- Author BiographySindre Bangstad is a Norwegian social anthropologist. He worked as an associate professor at Oslo University College in Oslo, Norway from 2008 to 2010, and from 2010 to 2013 was a postdoctoral fellow at the Department of Social Anthropology, University of Oslo, Norway. He is the author of the award-winning book The Faces of Secularism.
- Author(s)Sindre Bangstad
- PublisherZed Books Ltd
- Date of Publication12/06/2014
- SubjectCurrent Affairs & Issues
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintZed Books Ltd
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight499 g
- Width138 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine138 mm
- Format DetailsPaper over boards
Save on Textbooks
- AU $24.61Trending at AU $33.26
- AU $17.87Trending at AU $21.24
- AU $37.39Trending at AU $44.49
- AU $34.88Trending at AU $37.13
- AU $25.92Trending at AU $34.15
- AU $36.24Trending at AU $40.20
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $76.66
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.