Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.57
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $72.97
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.24
- AU $46.35Trending at AU $48.13
- AU $81.00Trending at AU $84.05
- AU $20.00Trending at AU $28.33
About this product
- DescriptionAndrew Marvell's Liminal Lyrics: The Space Between is an interdisciplinary study of the major lyric poems of seventeenth-century British metaphysical poet Andrew Marvell. The poet and his work have generally proven enigmatic to scholars because both refuse to fit into rmal categories and expectations. This study invites Marvell readers to view the poet and some of his representative lyrics in the context of the anthropological concept of liminality as developed by Victor Turner and enriched by Arld Van Gennep, Jacques Lacan, and other observers of the in-between aspects of experience. The approach differs from previous attempts to explain Marvell in that it allows multidisciplinary and multi-media contexts in a broad matrix of the areas of experience and representation that defy boundaries, that blur the line at which entrance becomes exit. This study ackwledges that the poems discussed, and, by implication, the entire corpus of Marvell's work and the life that produced it, derive from a refusal to draw a definite divide. In analyzing a small selection of Marvell's life and lyrics as explorations of various realms of liminality in word and image, readers can see a passageway to the poet's works that never really reaches a destination; instead, the unlimited possibilities of the journey remain. Thus, the in-between aspects of the poet and his poetry actually define his technique as well as his brilliance.
- Author BiographyJoan Faust is professor of English at Southeastern Louisiana University. She serves on the editorial board of the journal Explorations in Renaissance Culture, is the Executive Secretary of the Andrew Marvell Society, and represents the Andrew Marvell Society on the Executive Board of the South-Central Renaissance Conference.
- Author(s)Joan Faust
- PublisherUniversity of Delaware Press
- Date of Publication06/06/2014
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Place of PublicationCranbury
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Delaware Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight363 g
- Width154 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine18 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.