All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionTo the general public, Andy Warhol is kwn as a painter of famous faces, from Liz and Marilyn and Jackie and Marlon to his own ever-changing self-portrait. Less kwn are the portraits he made throughout his career of socialites, art dealers, collectors, politicians, and a variety of contemporary cult figures, mostly commissioned work that helped finance Warhol's many other artistic activities. This book is the first to provide a comprehensive overview of Warhol's many portraits, including well-kwn icons as well as many works largely unkwn even by avid Warhol followers. Included are more than 300 portraits made by Warhol from the early 1960s until his death in 1987, assembled as a face-book of the amazing cast of characters that populated Warhol's fascinating, star-studded, and, at times, sordid world. As Warhol said, I think everybody is my friend. Included in this book is an introduction by gallerist Tony Shafrazi, who has a long history with the work of Andy Warhol, and essays by Warhol experts, established art historians, and critics Carter Ratcliff and Robert Rosenblum, who lend insight into one of the least fully kwn but nevertheless prolific aspects of Warhol's endlessly fascinating career.
- Author BiographyTony Shafrazi is the director of the Tony Shafrazi Gallery in New York. He first met Andy Warhol in 1965 and started showing his work in the early 1980s. Carter Ratcliff is a poet and art critic. His writings on art include monographs on Andy Warhol and John Singer Sargent, as well as The Fate of a Gesture: Jackson Pollock and Postwar American Art and Out of the Box: The Reinvention of Art 1965-1975. Robert Rosenblum is Professor of Fine Arts at New York University and Stephen and Nan Swid Curator at the Solomon R Guggenheim Museum in New York City. He has written extensively on the work of Andy Warhol.
- Author(s)Carter Radcliff,Robert Rosenblum
- PublisherPhaidon Press Ltd
- Date of Publication17/02/2009
- SubjectIndividual Artists / Art Monographs
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPhaidon Press Ltd
- Content NoteIllustrations (some col.), chiefly ports. (some col.)
- Weight1869 g
- Width250 mm
- Height290 mm
- Spine33 mm
- Edited byTony Shafrazi
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $46.25Trending at AU $49.67
- AU $3.73Trending at AU $7.42
- AU $27.04Trending at AU $31.43
- AU $70.89Trending at AU $80.38
- AU $19.24Trending at AU $24.21
- AU $22.60Trending at AU $23.16
- AU $17.08Trending at AU $23.51
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.