All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionLucius Annaeus Seneca (4 BCE to 65 CE) was a Roman Stoic philosopher, dramatist, statesman, and advisor to the emperor Nero, all during the Silver Age of Latin literature. Here, with the publication of Anger, Mercy, Revenge and Natural Questions , the University of Chicago Press proudly inaugurates The Complete Works of Lucius Annaeus Seneca , a fresh and compelling series of new English-language translations of his works in eight accessible volumes. Edited by world-rewned classicists Elizabeth Asmis, Shadi Bartsch, and Martha C. Nussbaum, this engaging collection restores Seneca - whose works have been highly praised by modern authors from Erasmus to Emerson - to his rightful place among those classical writers most widely studied in the humanities. Anger, Mercy, Revenge comprises three key writings: the moral essays 'On Anger' and 'On Clemency' - which were penned as advice for the then young emperor Nero - and the Apocolocyntosis, a brilliant satire lampooning the end of the reign of Claudius. Natural Questions is a stand-alone treatise in which Seneca compiles and comments on the physical sciences of his day, offering us a valuable look at the ancient scientific mind at work. Both volumes introduce the Latinless reader to the writings of one of the ancient world's most fascinating - and acclaimed - philosophical figures, making them perfect for the undergraduate student and lay scholar alike.
- Author BiographyRobert A. Kaster is professor of classics and the Kennedy Foundation Professor of Latin Language and Literature at Princeton University. He is the author of Emotion, Restraint, and Community in Ancient Rome, among other titles. Martha C. Nussbaum is the Ernst Freund Distinguished Service Professor of Law and Ethics at the University of Chicago and the author of From Disgust to Humanity: Sexual Orientation and Constitutional Law, among other titles.
- Author(s)Lucius Annaeus Seneca
- PublisherThe University of Chicago Press
- Date of Publication10/08/2010
- Place of PublicationChicago, IL
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Chicago Press
- Weight454 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine25 mm
- Translated byRobert A. Kaster,Martha C. Nussbaum
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $14.50Trending at AU $17.06
- AU $72.88Trending at AU $77.22
- AU $32.75Trending at AU $55.12
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $99.23
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $31.93
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $95.49
- AU $20.74Trending at AU $23.36
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.