All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $28.70Trending at AU $30.82
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $78.83
- AU $44.50Trending at AU $52.90
- AU $34.29Trending at AU $38.68
- AU $26.88Trending at AU $29.35
- AU $44.27Trending at AU $52.87
- AU $36.48Trending at AU $41.21
About this product
- DescriptionConfirmation was an important part of the life of the eighteenth-century church which consumed a significant part of the time of bishops, of clergy in their preparation of candidates, and of the candidates themselves in terms of a transition in their Christian life. Yet it has been almost entirely overlooked by scholars. This book aims to fill this void in our understanding, and offers an important contribution and correction of our understanding of the life of the church during the long eighteenth century in both Britain and North America. Tovey addresses two important historical debates: the 'pessimist/optimist' debate on the character and condition of the Church of England in the eighteenth century; and the debate on the 're-enchantment' of the eighteenth century which challenges the secular nature of society in the age of the Enlightenment. Drawing on new developments of the study of visitation returns and episcopal life and on primary research in historical records, Anglican Confirmation goes behind the traditional Tractarian interpretations to uncover the understanding and confidence of the eighteenth-century church in the rite of confirmation. The book will be of interest to eighteenth-century church historians, theologians and liturgists alike.
- Author BiographyRevd Dr Phillip Tovey has been teaching theology for the Diocese of Oxford in their training programmes for 10 years and also teaches at Ripon College Cuddesdon. His interest in the Anglican Communion is informed by being a part of the Inter Anglican Liturgical Consultation for the past 20 years.
- Author(s)Revd Dr. Phillip Tovey
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication17/04/2014
- SubjectChristian History & Denominations
- Series TitleLiturgy, Worship & Society Series
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintAshgate Publishing Limited
- Content NoteIncludes 2 b&w illustrations
- Weight544 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine14 mm
- Series Edited byProfessor Teresa Berger,Dr. Paul F. Bradshaw,Dr. Dave Leal,Professor Bryan D. Spinks,Revd Dr. Phillip Tovey
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.