Excerpt from Annual Report for 1914: With the Supplement to the Guide to the Experimental Plots, Containing the Yields Per Acre, Etc These developments necessitated a considerable extension of the laboratory and of the farm. The first steps consisted in taking over 230 acres of land in 1911 on a 77 years' lease, and this, together with the Trust land, gave a self-contained farm capable of being worked with great advantage to the experiments. Suitable. Farm buildings and cottages were erected in 1913. A new wing was also added to the laboratory, and this was Opened on June 27, 1913, by the Rt. Hon. Walter Runciman, m.p., President of the Board of Agriculture. In 1914 the old laboratory, which had for some time revealed certain structural defects, was taken down and a new laboratory was begun, to commemorate the centenary of the birth of Sir J. B. Lawes in 1814 and of Sir J. H. Gilbert in 1817. Altogether these improvements cost over of which was given in grants from the Development Fund and over collected by public subscription; of this was obtained as the Lawes and Gilbert Centenary Fund in 1914. About the Publisher Forgotten Books publishes hundreds of thousands of rare and classic books. Find more at www.forgottenbooks.com This book is a reproduction of an important historical work. Forgotten Books uses state-of-the-art techlogy to digitally reconstruct the work, preserving the original format whilst repairing imperfections present in the aged copy. In rare cases, an imperfection in the original, such as a blemish or missing page, may be replicated in our edition. We do, however, repair the vast majority of imperfections successfully; any imperfections that remain are intentionally left to preserve the state of such historical works.