Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $46.25Trending at AU $49.34
- AU $3.75Trending at AU $7.37
- AU $37.10Trending at AU $43.40
- AU $29.29Trending at AU $31.81
- AU $70.90Trending at AU $79.51
- AU $20.50Trending at AU $24.39
- AU $22.60Trending at AU $23.01
About this product
- DescriptionIn this long-awaited book, Antony Duff offers a new perspective on the structures of criminal law and criminal liability. His starting point is a distinction between responsibility (understood as answerability) and liability, and a conception of responsibility as relational and practice-based. This focus on responsibility, as a matter of being answerable to those who have the standing to call one to account, throws new light on a range of questions in criminal law theory: on the question of criminalization, which can w be cast as the question of what we should have to answer for, and to whom, under the threat of criminal conviction and punishment; on questions about the criminal trial, as a process through which defendants are called to answer, and about the conditions (bars to trial) given which a trial would be illegitimate; on questions about the structure of offences, the distinction between offences and defences, and the phemena of strict liability and strict responsibility; and on questions about the structures of criminal defences. The net result is t a theory of criminal law; but it is an account of the structure of criminal law as an institution through which a liberal polity defines a realm of public wrongdoing, and calls those who perpetrate (or are accused of perpetrating) such wrongs to account.
- Author BiographyAntony Duff is Professor of Philosophy at the University of Stirling. He is the author of numerous works on general philosophy, on the philosophy of law, and most particularly on the philosophy of crime and punishment.
- Author(s)R. A. Duff
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication13/11/2007
- Series TitleLegal Theory Today
- Series Part/Volume Number13
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- First Published2007
- ImprintHart Publishing
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight660 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine27 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.