Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $33.15Trending at AU $35.14
- AU $72.88Trending at AU $77.86
- AU $32.75Trending at AU $55.58
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $100.05
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $14.01
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $96.28
- AU $39.56Trending at AU $42.72
About this product
- DescriptionThis book is the first full-length bibliography of Anthony Eden, who was British Foreign Secretary in the 1930s and negotiated with dictators Hitler, Mussolini, and Stalin. He resigned in 1938, gaining a worldwide reputation as an opponent of appeasement, and later played a key role in the British wartime Cabinet under Churchill and as Foreign Secretary in the Conservative government of 1951-1955. His brief period as Prime Minister, 1955-1957, ended soon after his controversial handling of the Suez Crisis in 1956. This comprehensive bibliography cites a wide range of sources, including contemporary periodicals, and is carefully antated. This work brings attention to conflicting interpretations of events and differing assessments of Eden. Important aspects of Eden's career are covered including the precise reasons for his resignation in 1938, his relationship with Churchill, his disagreements with both Roosevelt and Dulles, and his chairmanship of the 1954 Geneva Conference on Indochina. The volume includes a separate section on the Suez Crisis, including the diverse views of all the participants and comments on Eden's role. In addition, the work provides a detailed chrology and an informative summary biography.
- Author BiographyALAN LAWRANCE is principal lecturer in Modern History at the University of Hertfordshire in England. He is the author of China's Foreign Relations Since 1949 (1975) and Mao Zedong: A Bibliography (Greenwood, 1991). PETER DODD recently retired as Headmaster of Calday Grange School, Cheshire, England. He is an historian with a special interest in modern British history.
- Author(s)Alan Lawrance
- Date of Publication24/10/1995
- SubjectBiography: Historical, Political & Military
- Series TitleBibliographies of British Statesmen
- Series Part/Volume NumberNo. 20.
- Place of PublicationWestport
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintGreenwood Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight517 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine14 mm
- Edited byPeter Dodd
- Format DetailsLaminated cover
- Edition Statementannotated edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.