Antibiotic Resistance: Understanding and Responding to an Emerging Crisis by David S. Perlin, Karl S. Drlica (Hardback, 2011)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $70.49Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by simplybestprices-10to20dayshipping
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $49.00Free postage
- Acceptable condition
- Sold by nguyen-discs-books-saver
- Est. delivery by 4 Oct
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAuthored by two leading investigators, this book presents a thorough and authoritative overview of this multifaceted field of science. Pathogenic bacteria have been evolving and spreading resistance to diverse classes of antibiotics. As a result, we risk losing our ability to control and treat infectious diseases. Understanding antibiotic resistance, therefore, is becoming increasingly essential for a broad audience of healthcare professionals, biomedical and public health researchers, students, and policymakers. The authors answer questions such as: What is resistance? How does it emerge? How do common human activities contribute to resistance? What can we do about it? How can we strengthen our first lines of defense against resistance? Are there better ways to discover new antibiotics? What unique issues are associated with MRSA and viral influenza? In addition to defining and evaluating one of the most important emerging threats to public health, the authors explain what can be done to minimize risks to public health, and to preserve and extend the effectiveness of existing and new antibiotics.
- Author BiographyKarl Drlica, Ph.D. is a Principal Investigator at the Public Health Research Institute and Professor of Microbiology & Molecular Genetics at the UMDNJ-New Jersey Medical School in Newark. His laboratory focuses on fluoroquinolone action and resistance with Mycobacteriun tuberculosis and other bacteria, including approaches for slowing the enrichment and amplification of resistant bacterial subpopulations. David S. Perlin, Ph.D. is Executive Director of the Public Health Research Institute and UMDNJ Regional Biocontainment Laboratory, as well as Professor of Microbiology & Molecular Genetics at the New Jersey Medical School in Newark. He is also a Fellow of the New York Academy of Sciences. Dr. Perlin's laboratory explores mechanisms of antifungal drug-resistance, rapid detection of drug resistant bloodstream pathogens in high-risk patients, and the application of small-animal models for the study of respiratory pathogens.
- Author(s)David S. Perlin,Karl S. Drlica
- PublisherPearson Education (US)
- Date of Publication01/02/2011
- SubjectLife Sciences: General
- Place of PublicationUpper Saddle River
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintFinancial TImes Prentice Hall
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight671 g
- Width176 mm
- Height269 mm
- Spine26 mm
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $71.09
- AU $32.48Trending at AU $38.03
- AU $28.53Trending at AU $29.47
- AU $28.02Trending at AU $30.57
- AU $30.98Trending at AU $39.95
- AU $11.25Trending at AU $14.82
- AU $25.62Trending at AU $32.82
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.