All listings for this product
About this product
- Description<b>Winner of the International Association for the Study of Popular Music (IASPM) Book Award (1997)</b> Recent invations in musical instrument design are t simply a response to the needs of musicians, writes Paul Theberge; they also have become a driving force with which musicians must contend. He argues that digital synthesizers, samplers, and sequencers in studio production and in the home have caused musicians to rely increasingly on manufacturers for both the instruments themselves as well as the very sounds and musical patterns that they use to make music. Musical practices have thus become allied with a new type of consumer practice that is altogether different from earlier relationships between musicians and their instruments as a means of production. Theberge places these developments within a broad social and historical perspective that examines the development of the musical instrument industry, particularly the pia industry, the ecomic and cultural role of musicians' magazines and computer networks, and the fundamental relationships between musical concepts, styles, and techlogy.
- Author BiographyPAUL THEBERGE is Assistant Professor of Communication Studies at Concordia University in Montreal as well as a composer. He has published widely on music, technology, and culture and has created sound works for various media, including radio and film.
- Author(s)Paul Theberge
- PublisherUniversity Press of New England
- Date of Publication23/06/1997
- SubjectMusic & Dance
- Series TitleMusic Culture S.
- Place of PublicationHanover
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintWesleyan University Press
- Content Note11 illus. 1 Table.
- Weight454 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine20 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.57
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $72.97
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.24
- AU $89.88Trending at AU $91.09
- AU $46.35Trending at AU $48.13
- AU $81.00Trending at AU $84.05
- AU $20.00Trending at AU $28.33
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.