All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionBy the end of the Great War, forty-five Australian and New Zealand nurses had died on overseas service and over two hundred had been decorated. These were the women who left for war looking for adventure and romance but were soon confronted with challenges for which their civilian lives could never have prepared them. Their strength and dignity were remarkable. Using diaries and letters, Peter Rees takes us into the hospital camps and the wards, and the tent surgeries on the edge of some of the most horrific battlefronts of human history. But he also allows the friendships and loves of these courageous and compassionate women to shine through and enrich our experience. Profoundly moving, Anzac Girls is a story of extraordinary courage and humanity shown by a group of women whose contribution to the Anzac legend has barely been recognised in our history. Peter Rees has changed that understanding forever.
- Author BiographyPeter Rees is the author of The Boy from Boree Creek: The Tim Fischer Story, Tim Fischer's Outback Heroes, Killing Juanita: A True Story of Murder and Corruption, Desert Boys and Lancaster Men.
- PrizesShortlisted for Ernest Scott Prize for History 2009.
- Author(s)Peter Rees
- PublisherAllen & Unwin
- Date of Publication25/06/2014
- SubjectTrue Stories
- Place of PublicationSydney
- Country of PublicationAustralia
- ImprintAllen & Unwin
- Out-of-print date16/01/2017
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight612 g
- Width153 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine33 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (UK)
Most relevant reviews
- juleshb26 Sep, 2017by
Excellent thank you
Verified purchase: Yes | Condition: New
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $99.54
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.78
- AU $33.32Trending at AU $36.33
- AU $31.69Trending at AU $33.69
- AU $19.98Trending at AU $22.99
- AU $36.16Trending at AU $49.55
- AU $26.67Trending at AU $29.78
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.