All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.24
- AU $69.53Trending at AU $85.88
- AU $17.60Trending at AU $22.97
- AU $29.91Trending at AU $39.07
- AU $26.15Trending at AU $26.47
- AU $35.37Trending at AU $37.41
- AU $49.76Trending at AU $53.81
About this product
- Description<i>Appetite</i> is a book that explores our American Mythologies, particularly masculinity and film. Smith investigates our fascinations with the body, gender, and entertainment in poems that are critically observant, darkly funny, darkly angry, and, sometimes, heartbreaking. Whether he is cataloging shirtless men in films and bad television, lyricizing the anxieties of childhood, or redrawing the lines of cultural membership, <i>Appetite</i> attacks its subjects with wit, candor, and compassionate intensity. These poems anunce their presence with a style that is as beautifully wrought as it is provocative. In the America of <i>Appetite</i>, the usual hierarchies are obliterated: the disposable is as valuable as the traditional, pop culture is on the same level as the sacred, and the pleasurable simultaneity of past and present are found in high art and the tabloid. Smith s work engages our contemporary moment and how we want to think of ourselves, while dding to rich poetic, cultural, and personal histories.
- Author BiographyAaron Smith is the author of <i>Blue on Blue Ground, </i> winner of the Agnes Lynch Starrett Poetry Prize, and the chapbook <i>Men in Groups.</i> His work has appeared in a number of literary magazines, including <i>Ploughshares</i> and <i>Prairie Schooner, </i>and was selected for inclusion in<i> The Best American Poetry 2013. </i>He is assistant professor of creative writing at Lesley University in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
- Author(s)Aaron Smith
- PublisherUniversity of Pittsburgh Press
- Date of Publication15/11/2012
- SubjectPoetry Texts & Poetry Anthologies
- Place of PublicationPittsburgh PA
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Pittsburgh Press
- Weight113 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine8 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.