All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.18
- AU $13.90Trending at AU $17.77
- AU $29.08Trending at AU $33.18
- AU $30.74Trending at AU $37.24
- AU $23.32Trending at AU $32.85
- AU $71.09Trending at AU $79.99
- AU $50.05Trending at AU $66.59
About this product
- DescriptionOne night while rooting through the recycling bin for magazines, I found all the confidential Ph.D. applicant files for the biology department at an Ivy League university from the years1965-1975. Stapled to many of the yellowed documents were photographs of the prospective students. They were treasures! I tore through the folders and rescued every portrait I could find. I had to have them. Only later did I realize I had to publish them. So begins the preface to Jesse Reklaw s <i>Applicant</i>. A priceless time-bomb of pop culture, Reklaw serves a compelling and secret look into an impossibly lost era. The book collects photos from the 1970s paired with accompanying comments from employers and professors. The results are absurdist, confusing, often hilarious and disturbing. <i>Applicant</i> provides unique insight into outdated 1970s social attitudes and ephemera. Much of the book s appeal however is found in what the book fails to say: the blank and despondent stares of its subjects, the outdated fashions and hairstyles and its understated text. Equal parts Ann Taintor and <i>Found Magazine</i>, <i>Applicant</i> is one of those books you read once and then want to show to everyone.
- Author BiographyJesse Reklaw is an American cartoonist and painter, author of the syndicated dream-based comic strip <i>Slow Wave</i>.
- Author(s)Jesse Reklaw
- PublisherMicrocosm Publishing
- Date of Publication01/06/2007
- SubjectSocial Studies: General
- Place of PublicationBloomington, IN
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintMicrocosm Publishing
- Content Note36 b/w illustrations
- Weight41 g
- Width125 mm
- Height150 mm
- Spine4 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.