All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $11.99Trending at AU $16.87
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $99.54
- AU $9.06Trending at AU $14.01
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.78
- AU $26.67Trending at AU $29.78
- AU $20.29Trending at AU $25.53
- AU $21.17Trending at AU $25.81
About this product
- DescriptionApproaches to Political Thought raises three important questions concerning traditional political thought: (1) Why study the political writings and ideas of Plato, Machiavelli, and other long-dead writers? (2) Who among the writers, and which of their works, are worth studying? (3) How should they be studied? The book then explores ten contemporary approaches to understanding political thought and the diverse answers to these questions. The approaches covered include those of Leo Strauss, Hannah Arendt, Eric Voegelin, Sheldon Wolin, the Cambridge School (Quentin Skinner and J.G.A. Pocock), Psychobiography, Critical Theory of the Frankfurt School (Herbert Marcuse and Jurgen Habermas), Hermeneutics (Paul Ricoeur and Hans-Georg Gadamer), Michel Foucault, and Feminist Criticism (Susan Moller Okin and Jean Elshtain). Each chapter includes an introductory essay and edited selections that illustrate or discuss that approach. Each chapter concludes with discussion questions and suggestions for further exploration, including books, articles, and web sites. This exploration of contending contemporary approaches to political thought touches upon ongoing methodological and philosophical issues that are relevant to several academic disciplines, including political science, history, philosophy, and psychology.
- Author BiographyWilliam L. Richter is professor emeritus of political science at Kansas State University. He has served as Kansas State's associate provost for International Programs, head of the Political Science Department, South Asia Center director, and chair of the Landon Lecture Series. His publications include Combating Corruption, Encouraging Ethics, co-edited with Frances Burke, and numerous book chapters and articles on South Asian political and security issues. He has taught political thought for more than four decades, at Kansas State, University of Hawaii, Illinois Institute of Technology, and Panjab University, Chandigarh, India. He continues to find the approaches discussed in this book exciting and challenging.
- PublisherRowman & Littlefield
- Date of Publication28/02/2009
- SubjectPolitical Science & Theory
- Place of PublicationLanham, MD
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintRowman & Littlefield Publishers
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight635 g
- Width161 mm
- Height238 mm
- Spine29 mm
- Edited byWilliam L. Richter
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.